Monday, November 4, 2019

What Your Dad On His 95th Birthday...If You Had The Chance?


Today, Dad would turn 95. 

And even though he never made it to even 50, it was 95 years ago today he was born. 

Maybe some of you have had the opportunity to ask your father questions on his 95th birthday. Perhaps some of you will have that chance, though not many fathers reach that milestone.

I wonder what I would ask my dad, if I could.

I'd want to know about his childhood. Growing up during the depression, he faced things we can't even imagine. It would be fascinating to hear it from a person who actually lived through it.

I don't know if he'd talk too much about this, but I'd so enjoy hearing about his time as a tail gunner during WWII--what it was really like. Each time I see a movie or read a story about the war, how I would love to hear what he went through. There's so few servicemen left--soon, we'll only have written down or recorded memories of history.

I'd ask my father about the time he was a policeman in Idaho in the 1950s, finding out how things were done, procedures, rules, what it was like being a cop.

I'd ask him about his education, finishing a four-year engineering degree in three.

I'd ask him about what it was like being a local judge and if making those type of decisions was tough.

Since I can't ask him these question, or even his wife--my mom--these things, I have to wonder what he might say. Perhaps it elevates his stature in my eyes--it certainly makes him even more intriguing.

For those of you out there who have their fathers still with them, what questions would you ask? What would you like to know? Some advice--ask them now, before they turn 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment