Friday, June 12, 2020

Kathy Tyers "Writing Deep Viewpoint"...I Need This Book


I've been part of a writing group--two, actually--for several years. I'm not to the point where I offer writing samples for every meeting, like a good member of a writing group--two, actually--should do. No, I'm intermittent.

And that works for me, even though I should do better.

But, in the years I've both attended and submitted pages to be critiqued, there's been one main thing on which I need to work...

Point of view, or POV.

It's my Achilles's Heel.

My Kryptonite.

My Pink Panther.

You get the idea.

I always thought writing would be a simpler exercise. You know, you have a story to tell and you tell the story. Of course, I know it's not that simple. It can take a lifetime to master, or several lifetimes.

I've only started Kathy Tyers's book. Hopefully, when I'm done, I'll be a better writer and better able to tell the stories I want to tell. The beginning of her book explains just how important POV is to a story, and the deeper the POV gets, the more involved the reader becomes with the story. When my failings are pointed out to me, I recognize them almost immediately. I suppose it's like training your brain to see something so it becomes second nature.

Like I said, I've only just begun the book. We'll see how it helps, and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment