Monday, June 29, 2020

Derek And Me...


The other day I was looking at some old photos...I think attending my childhood friend's memorial made me nostalgic. A friend, Derek, who I had not seen since high school, attended the memorial as well and he and I caught up.

As I looked through the old pictures, I noticed something. I had more than one picture of Derek and I standing next to each other.

Funny how that happens.


In the six years of elementary school--kindergarten and grades one through five--Derek and I were in two of the classes together (I can't find the kindergarten picture, so there may be a third...). 


In that 4th grade class picture, Derek stood to my right.


Then, I found one of my favorite all-time photos of my childhood--the team photo of the Farmington Hawks little league baseball team. I don't know when it was taken--I suppose some research on my part and I could figure it out. I do know that as the league and city grew in the years since I was a Hawk, the city gave their little leaguers cool big-league names like the Phillies and the Cards. But back then, we were Hawks, clad in purple. I played whatever outfield position guaranteed the percentage of receiving the fewest hits sent my way, and Derek played catcher--one of the premiere positions. I honestly can't remember if we were good or not, but I did like being on a team with so many of my friends.


In the team photo, Derek stood to my left.

Fast forward several lifetimes and Derek and I found ourselves standing next to each other once again. This time, it was not to remember our elementary school year, or a group summer activity, but for a memorial for a fallen friend, someone who also shared many of those elementary school photos and little league pictures, just not the Hawks.


At the memorial, Derek was back on my right.

We've both changed--Derek and I were once roughly the same height--no longer so. He and I once had full heads of hair--no longer so for me, his looks great. It's weird looking at us now. Two former classmates, teammates catching up. I wonder when we'll see each other again. If and when that happens, I hope we're both able to stand next to each other for yet another picture.

2 comments:

  1. I love the old pictures of you two. Its time for both of you to reconnect. Life is too short. You all need to all have a reunion- Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! Getting together more often is always better.

      Delete