Saturday, June 6, 2020

Putting Myself Out There...Again


Last year I wrote a short five-page screenplay. I thought maybe a few friends and I could film it using cellphones. It never materialized, but it was fun to write.

I find, sometimes, the writing part is a lot of fun.

A couple of weeks ago, another idea hit me so I fired up the laptop, opened the Final Draft program and wrote it down. It's slightly longer (eight pages...) and definitely meaner. 

I like both stories, each have their strengths, and their weakness. I can see both actually being filmed--it wouldn't take much, few locations, few actors, one-day shoots.

I'm part of two writing groups, one for traditional writing and the other for screenwriting. There's been times--months, actually--when I haven't attended the screenwriting group. I'm doing more of that now, especially since we're holding on-line meetings. As he does often, Blake, the group's leader asked us if anyone had any stories to submit.

I spoke up.

I sent them in.

Next week we're discussing them.

This is a tough group. They don't hold back when it comes to critique and their opinions, and that's a good thing. False praise from friends will do you no favors in the long run. I've submitted to the group several times before. Each time the group's helped in many ways. Each time I come away with more knowledge than I had before. You'd think, after doing this a few times, I'd be used to the process. But, there was still that feeling in my gut when I had to make the decision of whether or not I would submit my stories, if I would put myself out there.

I did.

Now, let the carving begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment