Friday, June 5, 2020

Sometimes I Feel Like...Somebody's Watching Me


A few years after we built our house, a shih tzu pupply stole our hearts and she came to live with us. Her name was Patch, and we had to put her down earlier this year. It's always tough saying good-bye to a loved member of the family, especially one that has been with us for so many years.

Two years ago this month, my son rescued a standard poodle. Let's just say almost everything about a standard poodle and a shih tzu is different, different sizes, different personalities (that goes for all dogs...), different intelligent levels, and different ability to see out the big windows that grace the side of our house. I don't know if Patch ever looked out those windows. As time passed, she was unable to jump up on the couch to see out, then she lost her ability to see.


The poodle sees all.

The poodle has a front-row seat to the neighborhood looking south and a little west and east. The poodle is our sentinel, our protector, our lookout, our canine lighthouse for all things, be they threat or not. Bec, the Poodle watches from above.

The other day I walked down in front of the windows. The light was just right for me to get a couple of clear pictures of him as he watched me, and I watched him. Unless Bec is sleeping or downstairs, if the blinds are open and you're on our street, there's a good chance you will be spotted. You may be met with barks, or simple curiosity, but you will be seen.

Sometimes, I sit on the couch and look out--he and I side-by-side--looking at the view. I wonder what he's thinking. I wonder if he feels the protector or prisoner, and I wonder if he wonders what I'm thinking about as I watch with him.

That last one...I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment