Monday, June 15, 2020

Pitching Sessions--First Time Wearing A Collared Shirt In Months...


Last week I got dressed up, of sorts. I needed to attend a meeting and I wanted things to be a little different than when I participated in other on-line meetings. This time, I was representing something other than myself.

And, I didn't know the people I would be meeting.

I haven't done too many on-line meetings, a few here and there, a couple a week. I know many who are holding a couple meetings every day. Not me. When I normally log into a zoom meeting, the main concern I've had is to be outside of earshot of the dog barking. The best place for that in our house is our unfinished basement. No, this time I wanted to make a good impression, so I went to our local library and used their conference room.


On Friday I was representing Immortal Works Press and I was acting in the official capacity of Acquisitions Editor. The meeting was for pitches of new authors to see if the publisher would be interested in their stories.

I don't have a lot of experience with pitch sessions. In fact, this was the first time listening to others as they pitched to us their stories. I've only pitched a story of my own one time. That happened almost a decade ago.

I've got to be honest--I enjoyed better being on the side that makes decisions than the side that's hoping they like my story. That's only natural.

I heard three pitches, three completely different story ideas, different genres for different audiences. Who knows...I may have heard the storyline for a bestseller. I know both the publisher and the author would love for that to happen.

Friday was fun. I realized, after coming home and changing, that it was the first time since maybe the beginning of March that I wore a shirt with a collar. All those shirts have just sat in our little closet. The way things are going, I may never have to wear any of them again.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment