Tuesday, June 30, 2020

What A Way To Start The Day...Under The Control Of Machines


This morning began like most work days...I woke up, got dressed, and headed to my work station. I fired up the computer, was met with the calming twin blue screens, and I clicked to the VPM icon.

That's where the trouble started.

I remember growing up watching movies that depicted a hellish future where computers and robots enslaved humans to do their soul-less mechanical bidding. Well, it's the future and I think we're there. Sure, my telecommuting computer doesn't look like an evil robot, but it kind of is. Because, like many of you, I work at home, and if the computer or phones or internet is down, so am I. I'm powerless, inhibited...in a word, enslaved to the machines.

When I couldn't get in, I sent an e-mail to our computer help desk people. They responded that there was an issue. I had to wait until things changed. 

I waited...

And I waited...

And I waited...

Three and a half hours later, something changed on my screen and I was able to log in and get to work. I'm not blaming anyone, and I apologize if I've given that impression. No, these things happen, they've happened before, and they will definitely happen again. If anything, I'm kind of amazed each time we have computer issues how fast they get fixed.

This is our world. Years ago weather and animals used to have control over humans. Now, it's computers and internet. Thankfully, this morning's events were an anomaly. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll wake up, get dressed, head down to my work station, and get right to work.

That is, if my machine overlords allow me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment