Sunday, June 14, 2020

Flag Day, 2020 Version...


I've always wanted a flagpole in the yard, a place to display the flag, to honor it--not only on holidays, but everyday. My uncle and cousin in Idaho built their own. I think that's where I got the idea of having my own.

When my parents built their house decades ago, they removed an old power pole--it wasn't big, maybe twenty feet long. I thought one day I might use that as a flagpole. That didn't work out.

Another thing to consider, when setting up a flagpole is if you want it to fly at night, you need to light it--or you should, anyway. Last year I figured out a way to fly a flag at our house, fly it every day and every night. We didn't build a flagpole, but hung a flag in front of the house. Ever since we put it up, it's stayed, through each season, good weather and bad.

The flag is just cloth, different hues sewn together to form a symbol. What's interesting is, even though it seems the entire world has gone insane, the flag's remained the same. It's older, and a little more faded, but nothing's changed about the flag itself.

Now, opinions about the flag are held by individuals and each person has their own opinion about what the flag means and represents to them and to everyone else. I can't change that.

But, what I can do is--and what I'm going to do--is continue to fly the American flag, especially today...Flag Day. Any symbol should represent the best of things, the best of us. So, a flag can be a promise--if we uphold our end, it'll do the same. 

This year, we're flying the flag. I hope to still do the same when Flag Day comes around next year...and the year after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment