Wednesday, April 7, 2021

I Should Have Known...I'd Get This Reaction


 When you post a picture on social media every day...for over a decade, you see certain trends. I've posted some of the best photographs I've ever taken as my daily picture. I've posted funny pictures (or ones I thought were funny...), ironic pictures, pictures of my kids, of cats, of dogs. You get a sense for what people think of the photos based on the reactions of those who see them.

Last week, in our local Tremonton paper, a front-page story highlighted news of a wonderful memorial for a wonderful man, a man who meant so much to this community. There are discussions to build a community theater in town and name it after this man.

And I think the idea is wonderful and I hope it happens.

I took a picture of the front-page story and posted my picture online.

I received more positive response from that picture than any other picture I've posted in over ten years.

I should have known.

That story taught me much of Dee Pace. Years ago Dee and I shared the stage. I loved hearing his stories about when he attended college in Cedar City. I loved getting know him. Two summers ago I shared the stage with Dee's daughter. She was the star of the show and Dee attended one of our performances. It was great to see him after and share that amazing smile.

Less than a year later I heard the devastating news that covid claimed another victim. Dee was the first person I knew personally that passed away from the disease. The news story reported he was the Box Elder County's first fatality.

I did't know that.

I also didn't know Dee taught theater at Box Elder High School for fifteen years. I can understand why he was so beloved in the community. And I understand why so many people responded to my post. We moved from a place where a dozen or more community theaters were within a half-hour drive of our house. Now, that number has been reduced to two. I would love to see a community theater built in this little town, but the fact that it would be named after such an incredible person as Dee Pace, would make it perfect. Oh...I pray it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment