Saturday, April 10, 2021

The Scene...That Made Me Sad


 I've been watching--and enjoying--Marvel's latest television project, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier when a scene came on between a terrorist (sorry about the mild spoil...) and the Falcon's sister, Sarah Wilson. Sarah was asked about the new Captain America (sorry about the other mild spoil...) and she responded.

What she said made me sad.

There are many things that make me sad, some of the current conditions in our country, for example. The previous episodes subtilely and not so subtilely alluded to some of those conditions. The question was asked to Sarah about the new captain and she responded that in her country, she doesn't matter. 

Personally, I cannot think of many things worse than that.

Also, I don't think I can fully understand feeling that way. Sure, in my life, there were times when I felt I didn't matter very much--I think everyone feels that way at times, but deep down, I always knew I mattered to someone, even if it was just my immediate family. I always knew, on some level, I mattered.

The comment was meant to represent a larger group, but all things are perceived individually. Does Sarah matter to America? She doesn't think so. Is she wrong? Not to Sarah. Just as an entire group of people cannot--and should not--be labeled the same, America is not the same thing for all people. But what makes America different is that it has always been a place where people define themselves. It also is what people think it is. Their perception is their reality.

What made me sad is that for this person in this story, she felt her country didn't care about her. Those who see America one way say she's wrong. Others think she's right. The sad part is, the country isn't the one making the choice...it's the one giving the option.

No comments:

Post a Comment