Monday, April 26, 2021

When Your Work Station Becomes Your Vacation Destination...


 For the past several years around this time of year, I took a week off from work, traveled south, and joined several writers to write as much as possible.

This year...well, I guess some things have changed. 

And it's not due to covid.

This year, I decided to participate in the writing retreat, but I'm going to be at home. I now live twice as far away from the hilltop abode. Still, the drive would not be a problem. This year, I wanted to see how effective I can be here.

Today was Day 1 of the retreat. I spent much of the morning re-reading the words I wrote years ago. This story is my first novel where there are more than one storyline. I'm dealing with three and weaving them together has been a challenge. I needed to know not only where one story left off, but the others as well. After reading several chapters--and thanks to Scrivener which allows me to have several chapters open at the same time--I caught up on the stories and dove in to further the adventure. I had hoped that by the end of my writing vacation my novel will be done. I don't think that will happen, but I do believe that I will know how the novel will end. 

In my experience, once I know how it will end, I can finish things up quickly, and by "quickly," I mean quicker than a couple of years.

This morning I entered my work office, parted the monitors, and set up my laptop. Thanks to a wireless keyboard I could sit and type just like I do for work. Only this time, the work is for a different boss...it's for me, and for anyone who will one day read this story. Day 1 is in the books. Bring on Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment