Friday, April 30, 2021

When You Do The Right Thing...You Might Win A Raffle


 Funny story...when you do the right thing, you might be a raffle winner.

Let me explain.

A few weeks ago my wife and I were on our way to find a place to eat for Date Night when we drove by the local fairgrounds. Cars were parked in the parking lot and several people were outside at various food trucks. We thought we'd give the food trucks a try.

Since we're new to the area, we're not aware of the events taking place in the city. Turns out the food trucks were there for the people attending a craft fair. We decided to step inside and check it out.

We didn't know you had to pay $1 to enter.

We had no cash, so we were about to leave when the nice lady behind the table said we could go in. The place was full of adorable crafts and items, many we liked, none we bought. We were excited that events like this were taking place so close to our new home. We vowed to be more aware of happenings at the fairground.

This was Friday. The fair continued until Saturday at 5pm.

The next day we were picking up some groceries for the evening meal when we drove past the fairgrounds. It was close to 5pm, and everyone was packing up. I decided to stop and go pay the $2 we owed the craft fair. I grabbed eight quarters in change from the car and ran inside. I told them that since we didn't pay the day before, we owed them the money and wanted to make sure we paid it. I was asked if I wanted to enter a raffle because we paid, and I thought, "what the heck?"

Turns out, I won. 

A local vendor put together a package of honey, roasted walnuts, and a bath bomb as a raffle prize.

Score!

It was another of those pleasant serendipitous things that happen. Had we not won the raffle, I wouldn't have thought anything about it. I doubt the winnings were a reward for me paying what we owed, but...you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment