Thursday, April 22, 2021

Just A Different Point Of View...

 

They're upgrading at work. It happens every once in a while. Since I work remotely, this time will be a little different. I won't have the IT crew stop by my desk with a new computer and/or monitors on their little IT cart and begin the transformation.

The new equipment is ordered. 

Most likely I'll have drive into the office and pick it up.

I'm no longer the exception at work. The telecommuters are now "normal." I know there's been a lot of changes the telecommuters have gone through. I hadn't really thought of what changes those who support us have had to go through. When I worked downtown, I worked on the third and fourth floors. The IT experts worked on Floor Six. They could just come down and troubleshoot or swap out broken equipment or install new programs. They'd leave successful and happy. We'd then get to do our jobs in a successful and happy manner.

Win-Win-Win.

In order to deal with our new realities, to prepare for the upgrades I was asked to take pictures of my equipment and e-mail them to the IT department. That way, I'm their eyes so they can assemble my new equipment on their carts, then ship them off to the closest office so I can pick it up. To get the picture, I had to turn my phone upside down and slide it under the monitor. Sure, I could have taken time to disconnect the cables and turn everything around...too much work. The camera took a shot from a vantage point I never see.

It made me think. I need to think more of others...those who support me, among others...a different point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment