Sunday, December 19, 2021

Give Thanks...For Neighbor Gifts At Christmas

 

Last year, we handed out gifts to neighbors...to people we didn't even really know. We'd only been in the neighborhood a few months and because of covid, we didn't spend a lot of time hanging out with...well, anyone. And they brought us tasty treats in return.

It's one of the things I love about Christmas and the accompanying traditions.

Why do we do this? And do people in other states and countries do the same? I know that, at least for us living in Utah, neighbors prepare plates of goodies and take them around to the neighbors. I spent three Christmases outside of the state (two of which outside of the country...) and to be honest, I can't really remember us doing the same thing when I lived away, though it's likely we did.

When I think about it, I'm pretty sure most people do kind things for neighbors at Christmas, for those who celebrate Christmas. Why wouldn't they? For the most part, people are generally good. If they weren't, society would not succeed. There must be a foundation of trust for humans to successfully interact, and trust can only exist when people are--for the most part--good.

I'm grateful to be surrounded by neighbors who take time out of their day to think about each other. I must admit that the treats we received from others have all been homemade, unlike the ones we passed out. Still, I'll put the butter cookies up against almost anything.

Last year, we knew almost no one here. Since then, a year has passed and I'm happy to say we know our neighbors better than we did twelve months ago. And next year, God willing, we'll know each other better when Christmas comes around.

It's one of the things I love about Christmas and those accompanying traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment