Saturday, December 4, 2021

Saying Good-Bye...To Pie


I didn't want to do it, but...

It was time.

It's been more than a week since Thanksgiving. We actually, observed the holiday on the following Friday so all our family could attend. Who knows? We might carry it on next year--it worked out great. So, because we celebrated just over a week ago, the food left over from the great meal has sat in our fridge for just over a week.

Food has a shelf life, be it in a refrigerator or on an actual shelf. In our house, we usually save food for a week. It makes things easier when it comes to throwing out the uneaten portions. "When did we have that meal?" we often ask ourselves. If it's been more than a week, it's gone. Easy peasy. 

Then came the Costco apple pie.

We don't normally purchase our pies from Costco. It's not that we don't like pre-made Costco-brand food, quite the opposite. Since moving, we can't just drive two towns over to the local Costco whenever we want. This year, a guest brought the pie to our feast that they didn't finish the day before.

Maybe it's because I had been on virtually a liquid diet for almost a week before the meal. Maybe it's because I had not tried the apple pie from Costco, but for whatever reason, that pie was extra delicious. And because it came from Costco, even the left-overs were enormous.

I tried to eat it all...I really did. But, the week came and I had to toss it. I didn't want to, but it was needed. I'm trying to eat better, cut back on the sweets. In my defense, I could have had even more of that pie than I did, so there's that...

Friday morning the garbage truck stopped briefly in front of our house, picked up our semi-full garbage can, emptied it of its contents, place it back on the street, then drove away, taking the remaining apple pie from Costco with it. I don't know if next year we'll have a similar opportunity to enjoy a Costco apple pie. But, if we do, there's a good chance I won't be able to finish it next time, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment