Thursday, December 30, 2021

Probably Should Get Back To The Story...


 A few weeks ago, instead of taking the week between Christmas and New Years off, I asked to have every Thursday off in December. I had "Use-Or-Lose" time to burn. I thought it was a great idea, and for the most part, it has been, but on this last of my "no work" Thursdays, my thoughts have circled back to recent events that I don't necessarily want to think about.

How to escape?

I probably should get back to the story.

Last spring I stopped writing a novel I've written/thought about/fiddled with/tinkered with/and planned for years. I wrote the final climatic scene leaving only a few loose ends to wrap up. Then, I let it sit. I have many author friends who are writing machines--they never stop writing. I admire them and hope to one day be like them, but right now, I'm a weekend writer (if only I would write every weekend...). 

Sure, I've filled the day doing things that need doing, but tonight, with thoughts of this past horrible week, I decided to open SCRIVENER and see what I could do. I've got one more chapter to write, a chapter that brings one group of characters to their destination. They will then find out something so shocking, the characters (and more importantly, the readers...) will demand more information. That information--part of it, anyway--will be revealed in Book 2, the sequel. Once I finish that chapter, I can go back, clean up the story (and it needs cleaning...), then move on to the next phase of being an author...editing, pitching, praying.

Many people say that when they read, they escape in the pages of a book. They can forget about their lives for a brief period and enter a different world. The same can be said of the author who writes the words. In fact, I wonder if most books are written that way. Looks like mine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment