Saturday, November 12, 2022

Back In 2008...Some Were Kung Fu Fighting


 November 12th, 2008

A day that shall live in...well, not infamy, but something less severe, something fun. 

A video popped up on my social media today, a video I posted fourteen years ago. It's one of the rare times you'll see me dancing (unless you've attended one of the several community theater productions I've been in and if so, I was always a dancer in the back...). My boss at the time thought of a fun skit to do at our staff meeting. He recruited me and another co-worker to help fulfill his artistic dream.

The end result is something that still puts a smile on my face, even after all these years.

It also brings back memories. This was a tough time in my career. I had just taken a huge step and changed departments. When my job was eliminated, I was demoted as a supervisor and they placed me in another department. After about a year working there, I chose to leave and start again at the bottom...ten years with the company and I was starting over. I found myself in a small office with an incredible staff. I made many life-long friends, including my boss. He and I graduated at the same time with our masters degree. I'm still a frontline worker. He's second-in-command, my boss's boss's boss's boss. I'm happy for him--he's a natural leader.

I knew the person who filmed this (taken on a pre-smartphone phone, hence the quality of the video...) posted it to YouTube. A few years after it happened, I found it on YouTube. I tried looking for it a year or two ago and there's just no way, with the billions of videos posted since then...too many Everyone Was Kung Fu Fighting videos.

Back then, I enjoyed going into the office to work, seeing friends, working together as a team. Now, the thought of returning to work in an office is as unappealing as influenza. Oh, I'd go back if ordered, but the fun is gone. All my friends I had back then have moved on--some to the highest posts in the organization, but most quit to do other things, have families, switched jobs, left for better things.

I don't have many visual memories of my time in the Woods Cross office, but I have this video, and now, so do you. It's a fun little video to watch, but to me, it reminds me of good times...

Back when some of us were kung fu fighting.



No comments:

Post a Comment