Friday, November 25, 2022

Let The Games...Begin!


I have an confession to make...

I'm a soccer junkie.

 It just so happens, right now is the worst/best time for a soccer junkie.

This week the World Cup began in Qatar. Because not everything revolves around America or its fans, the games are broadcast early in the morning here and run until the early afternoon. If I want to watch the first game of the day in the opening round, I have to get up at 3am. 

I mean, I'm a junkie, but not that much of a junkie.

I'm a fan of two different teams, the Americans and the Danes. The Americans have played two games--two draws--and need to beat Iran to make it to the knock-out round. The Danes play France tomorrow morning. Don't know if they'll beat the defending reigning World Cup champions. Then again, I thought America would be blown out by England. 

Shows you how much I know.

Even the most crazy soccer fans in America can't hold a candle to your average fan across the world. They're nuts, but in a good way. I wish we supported our national team the way other countries support theirs. 

There's a good chance, both of my teams don't advance. It's very possible. Of course, watching the tournament isn't as fun, but being a junkie, I've got to keep watching until the final whistle sounds and then goes quiet, not to be heard again until four years have passed.

Alas, the life of a soccer junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment