Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Our Lemon Tree...I Remember It Well


 My mother-in-law bought a lemon tree a while back. Because of where we live, such a plant cannot survive outside so it has spent the entirety of its existence inside. The space where it now lives is open and airy, and most importantly, has lots of light.

Plants like light. Her lemon plant does as well.

So far, it's thriving. We can only hope it continues to do so in the future.

It reminds me of when we bought a lemon tree. Unfortunately, it did not go so well.

Our old home had a lot of natural light. We basically built an A-frame cabin with a huge wall of windows facing southwest. At first, our lemon tree grew and grew. It even produced a couple of lemons, but then something happened and the plant eventually died.

Bummer.

There are many reasons a person may want to live someplace else. The climate, the weather, the number of people (plus or minus...), are only a few of the reasons people decide to move. I've never lived on the coast where citrus trees thrive. Even though I don't necessarily want to live in those areas, I'd love to have lemon and orange and lime trees growing in my backyard. I've often thought we could have groves of these trees in Utah--they'd just need to be inside. Too bad we don't have areas large enough to do this.

When our lemon tree died, at least fifteen years ago, we did not replace it. There went my dream of having fresh fruit found in other states available for us. And really, it's so much easier to go to the store and buy fresh fruit there.

I hope my mother-in-law's tree continues to grow and provides years of enjoyment (and nutrition...). Looks like she's living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment