Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Happened Upon A Little Sports Show...In A Bakery


 I stopped by our local grocery store to pick up my son from work. He wasn't quite done, so I waited. While I waited, I checked out some of the baked goods offered at the store. I've been to the store many times, but this time I saw something new...

A local sports program doing a live broadcast, in the bakery.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Living in a small town is different--it's not like where we used to live was huge, but it was closer to Salt Lake City and therefore, closer to the the major sports markets of Utah. I was for a time, a sports reporter for a small newspaper--I had that gig twice. I also was involved with the Utah Jazz organization for a few years. I'm in no way "connected" to the sports journalism community, but I was closer than I am here. 

I loved seeing two men sitting on folding chairs in the bakery talking about local sports. After they finished, I chatted briefly with one of the men. He said they talked about the high school golf team, as well as other sports including football. Like many places, football is king here. I have no idea who the men were, but I imagine they are former players and/or coaches. If I grew up here, I might recognize them, perhaps even know them personally.

It was great seeing people involved in sports, nationally, internationally, even in a small town in Northern Utah. Sports is supposed to bring people together. I have no idea how many people listened to their broadcast, maybe many, maybe few. But, I know of at least one person (me...), I was glad they were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment