Saturday, November 26, 2022

Untangling Yarn...Untangling Life


 It was something on my "To Do" list for a while. The box sat in our bedroom waiting for attention for several months. But, it wasn't completely ignored. I brought up a big plastic tote to transfer the yarn from the big cardboard box to the big plastic tote. That counts for something.

I decided today was the day to tackle the project.

It wasn't until I dug into the box that I discovered it was a tangled mess--not as bad as it could have been, but bad enough that I almost shelved the task for another day.

I think it was the college football game I had playing on the TV that helped me make the decision. The game was good (Michigan/Ohio State...) and I thought I could try and see how much decluttering I could do.

I jumped in. Most of the skeins and balls were not tangled. That helped. I dug into the box, separated those unattached from those attached, then sat down and went to work. Several times I seriously considered taking a pair of scissors to the mass of entwined yarn and calling it a day. Sure, several feet of yarn would be sacrificed, but if that's the cost of saving time, so be it.

Funny, that didn't happen. I decided to try and work it out. I took one ball of yarn and pulled to see if I came loose. Not all did, but a few separated themselves from the tangled mess. If I met resistance, I stopped and tried another. Soon, I had freed several balls of yarn leaving only the most tangled left. 

One by one, I separated another ball from the others until only three remained...then two...then finally none of the yarn connected to another.

Freedom!

It reminded me about life. I know it's a simplistic way of looking at things, but it works, in a round-a-bout way. I thought about destroying something to make quick work of the problem. If I positively had to have everything separated in a few minutes, I would have done that. Since I had the time, I sat down and took things step-by-step. I cleared the easier things first, then when I got to the tough ones, I had a much easier go of it.

Currently all the yarn is jammed into the tote waiting for the day when the lid is lifted and crafts can begin. Maybe, when I need to lift the lid on my life's tote, things will be a slightly organized. 

One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment