Sunday, July 2, 2023

Give Thanks...Where We Live


 Where we used to live, I hung the American Flag on our porch. We had lights so we could fly it twenty-four hours a day. We flew the American flag on all holidays, and if I remember correctly, we also flew it the entire month of July. 

July's a good month to fly our nation's flag.

In Utah, we have two major holidays in July. Independence Day, of course. We also celebrate the day when pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley, July 24th, 1847. It's called Pioneer Day, or the Days of '47. We treat the holidays the same, sort of. We gather as families and friends. We barbecue, watch parades, and when night falls, we gather to see fireworks (some communities in our state are having drone displays this year...). 

It's a time to celebrate, but also a time to reflect...

Reflect on the lives we have.

For as long as I can remember, I've loved our nation's flag. I like other flags of other nations, but there's something special about your own flag. I want to fly the flag the entire month, but our new home has a porch that does not lend itself to the same display options as our old home did, so we improvised. I put together a flag and a base and I've flown it on most holidays. Yesterday, I found a light and for the first time in years, we had a flag flying all night.

I'm grateful for he life I've had, for being able to live in this country. I know I've been blessed...so blessed. I've lived with people who have loved me. I've had shelter, food, clothing all my life. Not everyone can say that. I'm not so naive as to think the flag is the only reason for all these blessings. The flag is a symbol--or should be--of a set of ideals that the citizens follow, something that directs them, protects them. Without anything to back it, a flag is only cloth. 

We've had the flag up for one day. It's been flying over our country for centuries. I hope it continues to fly for many more.



No comments:

Post a Comment