Monday, July 24, 2023

Pioneer Day...Means Different Things To Different People


 Having lived most of my life in Utah, I'm not sure if other states celebrate their state's founding--I'm sure they do...I just can't say for sure. Utah is a little different. Officially the state became the country's 45th on January 4, 1896. So why is July 24 celebrated each year in Utah?

It's when a group of pioneers decided this was the place they would stop their exodus and build their kingdom. Every child who grew up here was taught, either in school or church (or both...) about the pioneers, their courage, their determination, their sacrifice. For many still here, the stories are literally part of their DNA, as we are--myself included--descendants of those men, women, and children who traveled across the country to a new world.

Each year many of us take the day off--myself included--and take time to reflect, to consider those people, and wonder if we ourselves could do something like that if called upon as they were.

This morning I came across a tweet from a man I've never met. I began following him because of things mentioned in his bio. Darren Parry is a Utah resident with ancestors from the area, only Darren's ancestors go back much farther than the pioneers...

Much farther.

Darren explains in his post what they day means to him. It's different than mine. His day is not so much a celebration of the pioneers, but the cost of their decision to stay. I recommend you read his words. They're powerful, but for me, the most important words are those near the end:

I want to be a peacemaker and a bridge builder.

I will work hard every day to make that happen.

We are all in the same canoe now. It wouldn't do me any good to shoot a hole in the bottom of it.

Like I said, I've never met Mr. Parry, though I'd like to one day. Our world is full of people who feel they are owed something, respect, reparations, lost opportunities. In Darren's words I see pain, but also a resolve to improve not only his life, but the lives of those around him. It's a simple tweet, only a few paragraphs, but they made me see the day differently. Darren's words have already affected one person. I'd say, what he's doing...

Is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment