Tuesday, July 11, 2023

With These Shots, Kind Of Got Lucky...And Didn't


 Two shots, two chances where luck helped capture the images...

Luck was involved, but more with one than the other.

I try to find interesting pictures for my Pic Of The Day. I freely admit, some photos are better than others. Last week I caught two images I liked a lot, one a shot of a lightning bolt during a summer storm, and the other, a photo of a dragonfly taking flight. Both required some "adjusting," but both turned out great.

The first, the picture of the dragonfly, I caught while in the backyard with the dog. As I waited for him to do this business, I spotted two dragonflies landing on some bamboo poles we have set up. They would hop from pole to pole as if fighting. I got out my phone and tried to get as close as possible to snap a picture before they flew away. Because my phone has a short video feature, it caught the dragonfly as it took off. I picked a frame as it just left the pole and that was my Pic Of The Day. 

The second shot was far easier to get.

We live at the top of a huge valley and when summer storms roll in, my wife and I like to go out to the front porch and enjoy nature's fireworks. That storm was amazing. The thunder was almost constant. I got out my phone and hit "Video." Then, I would record for a minute or so, the phone pointing to the east. I took maybe five videos and captured numerous lightning strikes.

Because it was a video, I didn't know if I actually caught any lightning bolts with my camera. I downloaded the videos, then went frame-by-frame stopping whenever the sky lit up. The one I used for that Pic Of The Day was my favorite. I guess it's easy to conclude I snapped a picture right as the bolt appeared, but I'm not that talented.

Two shots, both required a bit of luck, only one needed less luck than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment