Thursday, July 20, 2023

New Town...Same Result


Years ago, the city where we lived at the time banned fireworks on our big holidays--Independence Day, and Pioneer Day (the day our state celebrates not quite statehood, but something like that...). And because people like to celebrate summer events with fireworks and since we're people, the restrictions sort of hurt.

Not that we were big fireworkers, but it's still fun to have the option. 

During those holidays we'd sit on our porch and watch neighbors a few blocks away blast their celebrations skyward. Oh, the fun they must be having. The next day I'd look across the street and see an open field of tall weeds and beyond that, a mountain. It made sense to stop us from lighting off fireworks, no matter how safe we were.

A few years ago, we moved to another hillside in a new town, this hill not as steep and not as weedy. On Independence Day a few weeks ago, we watched neighbors explode fireworks as they like to do. Some were really close. We considered getting some fireworks, but we decided against it. We'll watch the neighbor's, we thought.

What a difference a few days, little rain, taller weeds, and higher temperatures makes.

Today we got the message that our neighborhood is once again under firework restrictions...not only fireworks, but other things as well. Once again, I understand the reasoning and I support it.

New town...same result.

I think because I'm getting older, living without personally setting off fireworks and putting the hillside (and my fingers...) at risk is less and less appealing to me. Just another thing I can live without. I'm wondering if my neighbors will read the notice, and even if they read it, will adhere to it.

I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment