Saturday, July 29, 2023

Unto The Least Of These...


Lima, the cat. She is an odd duck...

For a cat.

I grew up without cats--my wife did not. There was a cat in their house for decades. When we married, my allergies to cats prevented us from having one. That changed on a trip to visit my cousin's home in Idaho. We arrived cat-less. We left with a kitten in a box on the floor of the van. Teewinot, we named him because he liked to climb and my cousin's home had a view of the Tetons.

Teewinot was a marvelous cat. We lost him last year.

Since that first cat, we adopted two more, both abandoned, both lovely. Gracie passed away before we moved north. SamDean Winchester is still with us. Looks like our penchant for adopting cats passed on to our family's younger generation. After my son married, they moved into a basement apartment with a field in the backyard. Also in the backyard were several cats. Several cats lead to more cats. My son and wife took responsibility for them and before they moved they found homes for them all...

Except for one, Lima, as in bean.

They adopted Lima.

To say the cat has issues would be an understatement. I don't know all of Lima's trials, but I do know she's missing an eye and from what I understand, the other one doesn't work that well, either. She's tiny, but then again, we're used to a 20 lb cat that's at least three Limas. Lima's a wonderful companion for my son's family.

I don't know if we would have taken in Lima. She's definitely sweet and good-natured. I'm glad my son and his wife are good-hearted. They accepted the litter's runt, and did so gladly. Without them, I'd imagine there'd be no Lima, and that would truly be a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment