Friday, January 9, 2015

My Trip To Kaysville...


Tonight I drove to the next town over, something I've done many times over the years. For some reason, tonight's drive reminded me of when I used to make the same drive thirty plus years ago.

And I realized, much has changed and much has stayed the same.

Back when I was in high school I drove that same road, the upper road through Farmington and into Kaysville, except back then, I drove my prized green VW bug. Well, it wasn't so much "prized" as it was barely a car. My 1965 bug had a 1200 CC engine and 6-volt wiring. The car left me stranded almost 50% of the time I drove the thing.

Man, how I loved that car!


Cars have changed. Tonight I drove a car built in 2004. The differences between my car then and my car now are great. My car now has more than 36 horsepower. It has brakes that work and a radio. It has a heater that actually works and windshield wipers with windshield wiper fluid. These are all good things. There exist similarities, too which include four wheels, registered license plates, working lights and both are paid for.

The road to Kaysville has changed. Once you leave Farmington there are two lanes into town, but the biggest improvement is a bridge crosses Highway 89. That's important because on more than one occasion my little VW barely made it across that street without getting smashed by oncoming traffic.


The Kaysville Theater is still there, except now it shows multiple movies, not just one or two. And there's a bank on the corner, except it's not Barnes Bank, but Zions. It should be Barnes. 

In both towns there are more traffic lights now. Back then the first traffic light you came to between Farmington and Kaysville was downtown Kaysville, right next to the 7-Eleven. Now there are nine traffic lights. I remember when that 7-Eleven opened, Davis High Homecoming Weekend, 1980. It was quite an event.


I remember making that same drive many a Friday night on my way to some activity, be it at the high school or a friend's house. I usually drove it with friends, but tonight I was alone. Maybe that's why the trip made me think about how so many things have changed and how so many have not.

No comments:

Post a Comment