Friday, April 29, 2016

Goodbye New Job...Hello Old Job


Yesterday I cleared out my cubicle so I could move my stuff to my new cubicle. I'm leaving a new job to one I did a couple of years ago. It's strange to be going back to my old job, but that's how things have worked out.

For the past twenty-two months I've been working an assignment with a different department at work. Where I work they have options when it comes to some positions. For these temporary situations the person chosen to work these jobs will return to the job they were doing once the assignment ends, if it ever does. A few years ago I was part of a computer rebuild team. I left my job for fifteen months and when the computer program was up and running, I went back.

It's happened again. I will go back to the same job, albeit at a new location. It's always hard leaving a job where you work with great people, and where your job impacts people's lives. The work is rewarding. The quality of the co-workers is icing on the cake.


We had a potluck lunch on Tuesday to formally say goodbye. The excellent food was only surpassed by the company in the room. I received notes and cards, and many many well-wishes. I had asked to use a couple of hours of annual time off this week so I could go to lunch with friends, and leave early yesterday. I had to get my stuff home so I could get to my other job on time.

Monday I'll load up the car and drive to the new building. I'll unload and move in and not recognize many. It will take some time to "remember" how to do my new/old job. And on those days when the work will bog down, I'll think back with fond memories of the time when I had one of the best views in our building right in front of me.

And I will smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment