Friday, April 1, 2016

When Your Oldest Child Turns 21...


When you see your kids reach milestones in age, it reminds you of when you reached those same ages--at least, it does for me. Today our oldest turned twenty-one-years old. He's an old man. And considering I was almost thirty-years old when he was born, that makes me an extremely old man.


We had to whole family together today, which, considering I'm working two jobs now, is a rare thing. The only downer is the allergies hit me hard today. So much so, I missed out on going to see Kung Fu Panda 3 with the family.


Twenty-nine years ago I turned twenty-one. At that time I was living in Århus, Denmark's second largest city. I had a couple of months before my LDS mission was over. Because I kept a daily journal (even back then...), I just read about the day a few minutes ago. It wasn't a particularly rememberable day. Some friends of my mission companion came down from Ålborg (Denmark's third-largest city...) and we spent time with them. I don't know if we even celebrated my birthday all those years ago.


Tonight my in-laws came over and we had cake and ice cream. My son has his entire life ahead of him. He's got choices to make, school, marriage, career, basically decisions that will determine his future and the future of many others. It's a little strange--but also exciting--to watch your kids grow up. I wonder what lies in store for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment