Sunday, November 6, 2016

NaNoWriMo...Some First Week Thoughts


I began like millions of others on Tuesday. My story did not begin on the bus commuting to or from work, not at home after working my shift. No, I began my NaNoWriMo experience at a theater.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense to me.

For the past couple of years, I've wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo (the National Novel Writing Month). The goal: write 50,000 words in thirty days. November is the month that's been chosen. Yes, I've wanted to write a novel in November, but each year, I've been so busy. I'm usually in a play. This fall I made the decision--I'm finally going to do it.

And then I was asked to do another play.

And I said, "yes."

Tomorrow it will be one week into my first NaNoWriMo experience. And, to my surprise, I was able to get a fifth of the way to my goal. Seriously, I didn't think I'd get that far. It makes me think I really can do this.

Then there's the story I'm writing. Oh, it needs help. For years I've been hearing advice on how to properly write a novel. There are things you should do, pacing, cliffhangers, humor, etc. And there are things you shouldn't do--basically, the opposite of all those things. And as I'm putting down the words, I'm realizing there's so many of those "should do" things that I'm forgetting. I know that I can make changes later and that NaNoWriMo is to get the words down--worry about the other details later.

Still, I can't complain too much. I was able to write successfully for five days straight. I didn't write today because I'm taking Sundays off. It makes reaching my goal a little tougher, but it's the rules I've set for myself. Plus, it's been fun for me to revisit my Fields of Barley story I wrote years ago. Posting a little of that story each day has been a good way for me to keep blogging and have time for NaNoWriMo.

Yes, the first week is in the books, as it were. Before this month ends, the show I'm in will go through final preparations and will actually open the day after Thanksgiving. Putting a play on the stage takes a lot of time and long rehearsals, time I can't use for writing. But, if the first five days of the month is any indication, I've got an excellent chance of reaching my goal. I'll keep you posted.

NaNoWriMo Tracker: 2655 words written yesterday, 10020 words total

No comments:

Post a Comment