Friday, July 14, 2017

Can't Believe It Came Back To Life...


Last year I took an amaryllis plant I picked up at a yard sell to work and tried to get it to grow. On the box it showed beautiful blooms and I thought it would be nice to have some color on my desk.


Day 1

I followed the instructions, planted it, and watched as four leaves sprouted and grew like crazy. I thought after seeing the leaves grow, I couldn't wait for the beautiful blooms ad advertised on the box. Turns out, the blooms never happened. Eventually the leaves died and I was left with what I started with, a big bulb halfway buried in some dirt.


Day 2

I'm the first to admit I know nothing about amaryllis plants, so I decided to keep watering it. Every week I'd water the plant a few times not knowing if it would ever grow again. Last Monday I went to work and saw all that watering and caring for the thing paid off--the start of another leaf sprang up from the top of the bulb.


Day 3

During the four days I worked this week I watched the leaf grow taller and taller. On Wednesday the one leaf was joined by another. If history repeats itself in a few weeks there will be four leaves climbing to the sky. It's amazing how fast the thing grows--almost so fast you can see it.


Day 4

I don't know if this time will be the one where I'll finally get the flowers promised in the picture. I might, but I might not. If not, that's okay. It's fun to see life growing beside me. One thing's for certain--if those blooms do show up, I'll definitely blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment