Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Farewell Stallions...We Hardly Knew Ye


I was on the road, listening to a national sports radio show, when the host announced their next guest coming up right after a commercial break. He said something about how he hoped the next guest was doing better than anyone in the AAF.

Uh oh.

I probably heard the news later than some. After the commercials, the guest talked about how an entire sports league--an organization that existed the day, week, and month before--was suddenly no more.

Gone.

And it made me sad.

There's a reason there're aren't a lot of new sports leagues. It's because they're risky. You need to have millions and millions of dollars to even get the thing set up. Then, you have to be able to pay everyone until you're popular enough for the league to support itself. I don't travel in millionaire circles. I know a few, but it takes a billionaire (or several...) to be able to afford to lose that kind of money.

Turns out, that's what happened. The guest explained why it folded. Most went over my head, except when the expert said that the main person behind the league decided it wasn't something he wanted it to be so he decided to kill it. I watched our local team on TV, the Salt Lake Stallions (great name...), and even several of the other teams play their games. No, I didn't attend in person, but I hardly ever attend anything in person. I was a fan, however.

The Alliance of American Football League had another strike against it even before it started...history. Many remember attempts in the past, the XFL, and the USFL, even the Arena Football League. They came and they went. I think others thought as I did--the AAF may or may not catch on, but it ought to be around a couple of years to see if it succeeds. Turns out, it didn't even survive year one.

It's tough to think about the players, the coaches...those who were making a living and trying to make a better living with this league. It was a lifeline--literally in some cases. And now the line's been cut and those flailing in the water are flailing still. To them we mourn the most.

Farewell Stallions. You did our city, state, and fans all over the world proud. Our time with you ended far too soon. You did a good job. You did what was asked of you. You played hard, won with grace, lost with honor. I hope you will find an opportunity to run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment