Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Writing Retreat...Day Two...On Every Road, A Speed Bump Must...Bump


I watched as the clouds rolled in, bringing with it a sense of dread, of the unknown. I can understand why early man feared storms. There's no way to really know what effect it will have on you, your loved ones, your crops, animals, etc.

Of course, we live in a modern society with Doppler radar and satellite images beamed instantly from space. Even with all that, we never know for sure what the weather will do.

Nor do we know just how much work we'll be able to get done, even when we have to time. For, on every road, a speed bump must be, or exist, or cause you to slow down.

Don't get me wrong--today was great in many ways. I have an assignment to help out the good people of FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention. It's getting close--it's actually ten days away. Last night I was contacted and asked to finish up the assignment. Luckily, I can do that remotely so this morning I got up and started scheduling. It's actually fun to help out and to be a part of such an amazing organization. I'm very excited for the event to start a week from Friday.

But, to do one thing, other things cannot be done.


Since Monday morning, I calculate I've written just over 10k on my little story. I began this story years ago and when I went back and read what I had written, it was not good. In fact, it was crap. But, it gave me an outline to start over. I'm not a big "outline" writer. I know I should do more of that. The stories would be easier to write if I did. Maybe this week has taught me that. Time will tell.

I'm not sure how much more writing I'm going to get to this week...maybe a lot, maybe none. I would be sad if I had to stop, but also I'm grateful for the work I've put in. And the best thing is, I like the story. That helps, helps a lot!

The clouds have engulfed the base of Y Mountain. A group of writers clacked away at their keyboards as if nothing unusual was happening outside. That, my friends, is how you become a writer. You can choose to slow down at the speed bumps, or you can hit the gas and fly over them, experiencing a new adventure!

Of course, you'll probably ruin your car doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment