Sunday, April 7, 2019

I've Found The Best Time To Driving With Your Unlicensed Teenager...During Conference


I think I've found the perfect time to go driving with your teenager so they can accumulate hours and get their drivers license...

Conference weekend!

It's true--there's no better time to get in a car with your unlicensed teenager and have him/her practice the fine art of vehicle manipulation. Of course, if you don't live where we live, or in the surrounding states, you might not understand what conference weekend is. Twice a year our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (formally Mormon Church...) holds no worldwide church meetings. Instead, the leaders of the church gather in Salt Lake City and hold what's called General Conference. 


Saturday and Sunday five meetings lasting two hours each are held. They begin Saturday at 10am local time and end 4pm local time. Since these meetings are broadcast on TV, radio, and the internet, most of my neighbors stayed inside this afternoon. My daughter and I climbed aboard the '04 Pontiac Vibe and spent the next hour driving the roads of Davis County. We climbed mountains and drove the flats. We saw deer and cranes. 


And there were hardly any other cars on the road with us.

Conference weekend has its obvious drawbacks when it comes to driving practice. It only happens twice a year. The goal is to get my daughter her license in a matter of weeks, not months. Still, it would be fun to go driving with her again next fall, the first weekend of October. She'll be an improved driver then (the more you do a thing the better you become at that thing...). And I always enjoy spending time with my kids.

Let's hope she'll feel the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment