Friday, April 12, 2019

I Spotted The Deer, Then...Well...Not Much


While taking out the small dog (she needs help getting out of the house...) this evening, noise from the hill caught my attention. I spotted a man, a boy, and a dog on the trail leading up the mountain. That wasn't unusual--men/women, kids, and dogs go up and down that trail all the time.

It wasn't until I looked a second time at the mountain that I saw the deer.


Seeing deer on the hill isn't that unusual. They're always there--it's just we don't see them, or we're watching something else. I noticed they were close enough to perhaps get a good shot or video of the beautiful creatures. I knocked on the window, asked my wife to fetch my Nikon (I thought if I got the camera myself, the deer might be gone when I got back...), and once she gave the camera to me, I quickly focused it and started filming.

And I filmed...

And I waited for something interesting to happen.

And I waited...

And filmed...

And that was pretty much it.


I stood there on the street in front of my house filming and waiting and not much happened. The deer just kept grazing around the same spot. I thought maybe the man, boy, and dog might make them move, but that didn't happen. I wasn't close enough to capture really impressive pictures or videos--hey, it's not every day you can get those kinds of shots.

The deer moved slowly enjoying their dinner and eventually I stopped filming and went inside. I'm still glad I got to watch the deer tonight. It's one of the advantages of living on the side of a mountain. I'll bet if I looked up more often, I'd be treated to more views like this...even more exciting ones, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment