Saturday, April 6, 2019

Man...Spring Is Already Kicking My Trash


Growing up I thought being a local news reporter might be a cool job. You meet interesting people, you get to report on things important to the community, and you get to laugh on camera with other news professionals back at the studio.

I felt this way until I watched a local news broadcast about Tax Day. The reporter stood outside a post office talking about how the people were dropping by--even after the late hour of 10pm--to drop off their taxes. The reporter did a good job, but something was missing. She looked like she'd given the same report--the exact same report--exactly one year earlier. It was then that I thought maybe being a local news reporter might have some downside to it--not all glitz and laughing with the beautiful people warm, inside, under the studio lights.

What has this got to do with allergy season?

Well, this is my annual blog post about spring and how all those beautiful blossoms popping out everywhere are spreading poison into the air, poison that is currently beating me up pretty good. I feel like a reporter who files the same story year after year hoping maybe someone out there hasn't read my past "I hate spring" blog posts over the past eight years.

If you spend any time on social media, you're inundated with posts and stories and pictures about how wonderful spring is. After months of cold and snow, finally the sun breaks forth and spreads its life-giving warmth to all of earth's inhabitants. 

Well, not all of them are so happy.

But, I'll soldier on. After all, it's only a few miserable months until the soul-killing heat of summer arrives and tries to finish the job spring couldn't quite complete. I'll hang on until autumn when the temperatures drop and I can finally see, smell, and hear correctly. And then winter will save the day.

It's only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment