Monday, June 24, 2019

Breaking Out The Drone...Again


It was years ago. We had just received some inheritance. We were at a hobby shop, I saw the drone, and I bought it. It's not a "top-of-the-line" model, but it's better than those twenty dollar versions. The problem isn't the drone, but my inexperience in operating it. I'd love to get good enough to take great pictures and videos with it.

Hopefully, time will tell.


Over the weekend, I visited another hobby shop. I had to pick up a battery for the drone (the two I had previously sort of blew up...). They found one in the back and I was off and running, or flying, as it were. Tonight was such a perfect night to dust off the drone and see if I still knew how to operate it.

Turns out, I'm about as good as I was before.

I took three videos of my flying attempts. I could only include the shortest video here because of size restraints. The drone made a rather abrupt landing, or I guess I made an abrupt landing and one of the landing supports fell off. In drone flying, landings are SO SO SO important--the same as flying close to power lines or large pine trees. Luckily the damage was easily repairable. I fixed the landing gear and hit the brilliant blue skies again. I did get some views of my neighborhood and house that I just don't get anywhere else--fifty feet straight up.


I'm always excited to see the finished product, but as I watched the videos I realized I've got a long way to go. I need to be much smoother. Watching what I captured can give a person a headache, or make them seasick--sort of like watching The Blair Witch Project, or Cloverfield.

No, drone operation/photography is a work in progress. Like anything, you get better with practice. Now, if I can just keep the drone it in one piece long enough to learn, I'll be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment