Wednesday, June 5, 2019

I Flew The Flag Today...


We've had so much rain lately, it was like living in Europe again, so I wasn't sure when I unrolled our American flag this morning and hung it outside if it would get soaked. It's not necessarily an all-weather flag so I keep it indoors during inclement weather.

But today, it felt like a flag-flying day.

I try to remember to fly the flag on holidays. We're coming upon a holiday-heavy time of the year so it's likely you'll see the stars and stripes in front of our home either waving in wind or resting in a non-windy day.

It felt like a holiday, even though it wasn't. Because of events occurring a third the way around the world, it felt like a holiday. The official anniversary of the largest military operation ever executed in the history of the world is tomorrow. It felt right to begin honoring the day a little early.

When I was born, D-Day happened twenty-one plus years earlier. Most of the world (at that time...) remembered it happening. Most of the survivors from that invasion were still alive. I bring this up because our society can't even begin to comprehend what happened on those French beaches three score and fifteen years ago. I listened to a podcast from Ben Shapiro this week. He interviewed D-Day survivors and the stories they told...just unbelievable. And to ask eighteen to twenty-two year olds to do that same thing for their country now, they'd think you were out of your mind.

I'd like to think we've evolved as a species in the past seventy-five years, but since there seems to be enough hate in the world to start several wars, unfortunately, we never learn. And because we stopped listening to and forgot about the people who actually lived through the experience, we're destined to repeat our mistakes. 

Tomorrow I'll put the flag out again. I know it's not a lot, but it's a way to honor those that lived by a different creed, one more unselfish, one better. Thanks to everyone who served. I can never adequately repay you. What a great day to fly the flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment