Wednesday, June 19, 2019

To Buy, Or Not To Buy...That Is Her Question


Being a parent of adults is full of new experiences. I remember when I graduated from high school, got my first job, and bought my first car. 

I never thought about what it was like for my mom.

Not that you necessarily think about what your parents think when you go through these things, but I find myself doing just that. The latest adventure in Adult Parenting happened tonight when my daughter and I drove to a friends house so she could look at a car.

A car she might buy.

It reminded me that parenthood isn't just about a child's first words, first steps, first dates. It's about their first cars, jobs, day at college/first day on a new job. It's about watching them weigh the pros and cons about the big decisions, and like my friend Shane says, "seeing the people they're going to be."

I don't know what decision she'll make. I'd like to think I know what I would do if I were her, but she's better with money than I was at her age (or even my age, sometimes...). And the thought of getting a car to someone who has never had their own car is intoxicating. 

Today it's a car. Tomorrow it'll be bigger decisions--where to live, who to marry--stuff like that. And it will remind me that they're no longer kids, but adults. 

Like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment