Sunday, June 30, 2019

Have Tickets...But I Won't Be Going


I had an amazing high school drama teacher, Sherrie Cole. I only took drama my senior year, but many of the things she taught us has stayed with me in the 35 years since I graduated. 

One story I distinctly remember one had to do with commitment. Mrs. Cole told us about a show she was in years earlier. In the cast was an elderly couple. Before a rehearsal the two shared a story--it was the couple's fiftieth wedding anniversary (if I remember correctly and I apologize if I get this wrong--it was over three decades since I heard it...).

My teacher was shocked and asked them why they weren't away somewhere (other than rehearsal...) celebrating. They told her that they couldn't because they were in a show and had rehearsal. Mrs. Cole told us students that when you're in a show, you're committed. Everyone else in the show is counting on you to be there.


The above story is sort of a long way to explain why I will not be attending San Diego Comic-Con next month, even though I have tickets. 

San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) is the pinnacle of geek culture. It's Mecca for nerds. Now, I've never attended myself. I'd like to say it's my dream to attend SDCC and that I've always wanted to go. This isn't exactly true. As I've gone to local shows, I've thought about SDCC, but I've not had the means to attend. This year, I did some contract work and I thought it would be fun to finally go, so I ordered the tickets.


Then came a show. My daughter wanted to audition for Peter Pan taking place this summer. Since I love doing shows with my daughter, I auditioned too. Because of the talent at auditions, I wondered if we would be cast. Turns out, we were. And SDCC happens the week before we open. If you've been involved in a production like this, you know you can't miss Tech Week and final rehearsals.

So, attending the Big Geek Dance is not like missing your 50th wedding anniversary, but the underlying message is the same. Instead of rubbing shoulders (literally...) with thousands and thousands of fellow nerds, I'll be playing Jukes the Pirate in Ogden, and having a blast doing it. Sure, I'm out the money, but I got a sweet pin.

Maybe next year. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment