Friday, June 14, 2019

Flag Day, 2019...Flying It A New Way


On June 6th, I put out the flag like I've done for years. 

Then, the wind hit.

Needless to say, we no longer have a pole on which to fly our American flag. I folded up the flag and put it in the basement. Until this morning. I had to fly the flag on Flag Day, or at least, I should. 

My mind went to work figuring out a way to fly it.

I knew I had a couple of cup hook screws so I thought I could maybe hang the flag without the pole. Years ago, when my son was serving a LDS mission in California, we hung a California state flag on our porch while he was away for two years. I rigged a system to hang the flag and it worked well enough. Our American Flag is heavier so I needed something better.

We have some timbers framing the front of our home. I thought maybe I could find a way to hang the flag and give it the proper respect it deserves. I considered hanging it horizontally, but the only grommets on the flag are down the side, not on top, so I could hang the flag horizontally, but I'd have to punch a hole in the top corner and I didn't want to do that.

Looking at the front of the house, there were two places, to the left and right of the front door, that would work. I chose the left side (looking at the house...) so the house number wouldn't be covered up. And, if I hung it incorrectly (stars to the left--again, looking at the house...), I apologize. Please let me know and I'll fix it next time.

Tonight, we had a beautiful sunset. Once again, the pictures I took don't do it justice. I'd like to shine a light on our little flag so I can hang it at night and I won't have to bring it in each time the sun sets. I'm glad I was able to re-hang our flag today. After all, today was its day.

No comments:

Post a Comment