Sunday, June 23, 2019

Man...I Miss Football


I miss football.

Pure and simple.

I miss it.

It's like when you drive passed a high school or jr. high school around lunchtime in April. Kids are outside enjoying the warmer temperatures and you know they're so close to having their school year be over, they can almost taste it. It's killing them, because they still have a couple of months to go until school's out.

Yeah, it's kind of like that.


Oh, sure--there's other sports on TV right now. There are two national team soccer tournaments going on right now. For the men, the Gold Cup, and the women, the granddaddy of them all, the women's World Cup. Yes, they're entertaining and I am following the tournaments, but it's not the same as football.

And since basketball and hockey seasons are over, there's always the boys of summer playing more games than I could ever take in, but I usually only take interest in baseball during a pennant race and the playoffs. Then there's golf and tennis and racing.

But they're not football, good ol' American football.

Because we no longer have professional football in our area, I root for the University of Utah Utes. I also follow and watch Utah State University's and Weber State University's football programs (because I attended those schools...), as well as BYU's. There's something about the intensity of the college game that is hard to beat.


The Utah season opens up against BYU two months and six days from today. Just like the kids catching rays outside the jr. high on a sunny afternoon in April, it's so close you can almost taste it, yet, so far away.

I miss football.

Pure and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment