Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Vape-Mobile...


We see it almost every week as we pick up groceries. We've come to know it as the Vape-Mobile. It's a car, two-tone (but most likely not by choice...). And for whatever reason, when we show up for our weekly trip, we happen to see the car's owner taking a break in the Vape-Mobile.

You can probably guess why we've dubbed the car what we did, so I guess I don't need to go into that. 

It's interesting to me how a car, maybe more than anything, can help define a person, at least, that's how we think about it in our own minds. How else would you convince a normally rational person to pay tens of thousands of dollars for much more of a vehicle than they need? Billions of dollars in advertising has made us believe that we are an extension of our cars, or better yet, they're an extension of us.

We really couldn't be more wrong. Sure, a car can say something about a person. A truck usually means the owner has a need for the abilities of the truck--construction worker, someone who needs to tow things, or maybe they just like to see above all the traffic. I've never really understood why a person would need to buy a car that can hit 200 m.p.h., other than the thrill of knowing it can be done.

I drive a car that has no hubcaps and the driver's-side door is a different color than the rest of the car. For a while it bugged me that it wasn't nicer (or not two-toned...). But, when I really think about it, it's been a fantastic car. It's been reliable and economical. And I really like it.

I've wondered if the owner of the Vape-Mobile likes his car. I'm sure he like the fact that it allows him to get to and from work, play, or wherever else he wants to go. Yes, a car can say a lot about a person, or it can say almost nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment