Saturday, September 5, 2020

Good-Bye...To A Prince Of A Man


I saw a post from a family member a day or so ago; that's when I found out. And even though it wasn't unexpected, it's still a shock when the news is confirmed. You can link to the Salt Lake Tribune article: HERE.

I first met Peter Freed when I was sixteen years old, but his influence affected my life for years. We moved to Farmington in 1970 and soon, we were going to Lagoon almost daily in the summer, every day, except Sunday, that is. My family bought a pool pass--it was around $35 for the whole family for the whole summer.

And we went every day, every year, for years.

When I was sixteen I was hired as a groundkeeper and we cleaned the park--a great job for a teenager because we had to clock-in at 4am. You save money when you have to go to bed around 9pm in the summer. It wasn't until I began working in the entertainment department that I really appreciated Peter.

Lagoon's an interesting place and when you work there off-and-on since 1982, you see trends, you see behind the scenes. Most patrons go to Lagoon for the rides. The games, and food are bonuses. But, for a chosen few, it was the park's entertainment that drew them, especially the locals. They would go to every "Music USA" performance, or Countryside, or to see the Lagoon All-Star Band. And from what I understand, Peter played a huge part in the creation of those shows. Because of his influence, entertainment is a central part of the park to this day.

Peter was a quiet man, a reserved person. He was not loud or bombastic. He watched the patrons from his little office window near the park's entrance, and he came to see as many shows as he could, always from the back, always allowing others the better seats, the better views. You could tell he loved the shows, loved watching people enjoy themselves.

I'm sure there are amazing stories of the man before he and his brothers took a risk on an amusement park in a small Utah town. And, I'm sure if I heard about them and the part he played in the military and in other business dealings, I'm sure I'd learn of the same quiet man, someone who seemed to always want others to Have Fun.

Peter was one of the good guys, and I'm glad I knew him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Scotty!

    This reminded me of one of the many nights we were waiting for one of the shows to start and Peter was there. A few of the patrons filling into the theater noticed Peter standing nearby and approached him greeting him by the name on his Lagoon badge on his shirt pocket. Not having any idea who he was they shook hands and one of them asked him what he did there at the Lagoon. Peter just smiled and said, “Oh I just do odd jobs around the park”.

    ReplyDelete