Friday, September 18, 2020

Not Somebody That I Used To Know...But Some Place That I Used To Live


 We've been doing a lot of driving lately. That happens when you're about to move seventy miles to the north. It's a whole new world up there, a world we don't know very well. For decades I've known about a mountain pass linking Tremonton to Cache Valley, but I've never taken it.

That' changed last week.

We needed to be at the new house for some installations. We had time between appointments so we decided to take a little drive. That upper pass sounded like a perfect trip. It was beautiful. I've been to Logan Utah and Cache Valley numerous times, but I never drove west of the main drag. It's an amazing world out there, one I didn't expect.

Because we were in Logan, I had to drive past my first college apartment, just below campus and Old Main--a tri-plex built probably around the 1950s or 1960s, maybe even earlier. I moved into that apartment (bottom left, under the stairs...) the fall of 1984, a few months after I graduated from high school. I had three roommates who I knew very well--my brother, my brother's best friend, and a mutual friend from St. George and Lagoon.

My first college experience was a lot of fun. I was not a stellar high school student and I carried that reputation over to higher education. The classes were tougher, but I enjoyed them. I loved the purpose of learning, of being educated. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but since I was only going to be there a couple of months, I didn't have to worry about that.

Back then, Utah State University was on the quarter system. My first college experience only lasted about ten weeks, then I left for my LDS mission to Denmark. I hope I never forget that almost broken-down place that didn't have a proper shower (so we made our own...), and where Corn Jelopy was made at least once a week.

I can't imagine how many students have lived in that particular apartment since December, 1984. It's almost a dizzying prospect to think of all the degrees, the broken dreams and hearts, of triumphs over completed courses, of new loves, of degrees earned and goals achieved.

The building still stands...a place I used to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment