Thursday, September 3, 2020

What Might Have Been...


So, if the world had not been shut down, I would most likely be either watching a DVR-d game of a Utah win, or deleting the recording. I'd either be a happy fan, or hopefully bummed but respectful of a quality opponent. 

But, as it stands, I'm neither.

I'm numb...

And considering what might have been.

Decisions have been made by those who feel they are doing what's best. I'm not going to argue the decision, mostly because it doesn't matter what I think. It won't change things or make a canceled game suddenly appear. No, the score will not be in the history books, players will not become heroes or anti-heroes, and parents and fans will not be able to brag or suffer.

The funny thing is, I probably wouldn't have even watched tonight's game live. It's been a system of mine for the past couple of years. I'll DVR a game and either watch it if it's a win, or delete it if it's not. It saves time and I find I'm a much calmer and well-adjusted person by doing things that way. Two years ago, I was forced to watch the game live--because I was actually in Rice-Eccles Stadium on a very cold November evening when Utah rallied and beat BYU in the final minutes--one of the greatest games I've ever seen, live or otherwise.


Every Utah fan (it seems...) believes tonight the Utes would be celebrating their tenth win in a row. Fans for BYU feel differently. Personally, I'm not sure #10 is such a given. The biggest disappointment is we'll never know what would have happened tonight, other than one fan base would be happy, the other not.

What might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment