Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Netflix's "The Social Dilemma"...Frighteningly Enlightening


 I heard about this documentary a few days ago. I had time to watch it today.

I wish I had watched it a few days ago.

In fact, I wish I had watched it--or known about this stuff--years ago.

Netflix's The Social Dilemma casts light on how social media works, how it operates, and--as if it's a living breathing life form--how it survives and thrives.

It's terrifying.

I think we all know that we're being tracked. We're being recorded. We're being spied upon. Even the most non-conspiracy theorist acknowledges this. Our technology allows this to happen--only to what degree could be in question. Whistleblowers have proven the government has access to all this data. But, where and how did they get it?

Social media has helped.

The Social Dilemma doesn't necessarily dwell on how the information is gathered, but focuses more on why. And once you know the "why," the rest is human nature and A.I. taking its natural course. The film is a series of interviews from people who helped build Facebook, Google, Instagram, Pinterest, and other sites. They explain how the data is used to increase our addiction to their sights. Even though I've suspected what the site do and how they operate, I learned a lot about other things going on behind the scenes.

My wife pointed out something--she watched it, too. Netflix uses some of the same methods to get us addicted to their site...darn binge-ible shows!

Watch the show. You'll never look at your phone the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment