Saturday, November 27, 2021

"8 Bit Christmas"...A True Gem


 Things (it seems...) were simpler in the 1980s. Maybe they seem simpler because there were fewer things, fewer people, fewer cars, fewer, channels to watch, fewer forms of entertainment.

When it comes to Christmas entertainment, there seemed to be fewer things, too. There was no Hallmark Channel or Lifetime Channel or half a dozen other channels that played Christmas movies from Halloween to New Years (and again in July...). No, back then, if you wanted to see a new Christmas movie, you had to get off your behind, get in a car, and go to a movie theater to see it.

That's where I saw A Christmas Story, and that's just the way it was.

It's been so long since I sat in a theater and watched A Christmas Story. It's such a classic, and even though I did not grow in in the 1930s when the show was set, I think every child can identify with not getting what they want for Christmas, or if not Christmas, wanting something so badly, you think of nothing else.

I've often wondered it there would be another film that could capture the joy, the innocence of A Christmas Story

I think we found one.

Last night my wife and I decided to check out a new film. With so many to chose from, you never know if they'll be good or not. I had just read a tweet from someone that said they saw a show called 8 Bit Christmas and they loved it. We thought we'd give it a shot.

Wonderful, lovely show!

8 Bit Christmas is the story of a boy not wanting a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas, but something even more unobtainable to a child without means in the late 1980s...A Nintendo Entertainment System. Once again, this was not my age group--this time I was a little older than the child, but so much of it hit home. And the performances by the child actors were exceptional. Crisp funny writing, believable family situations, over-the-top (at times...) memories of childhood. It all added up to a gem of a little story.

Because we live in such an amazing time, we can watch our favorite Christmas movies whenever we want. I believe we'll be adding 8 Bit Christmas to our collection of favorites. And I didn't even have to go to the theater to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment