Monday, November 1, 2021

When "Find My iPhone" And Other Options...Don't Work


 We had a little incident the other day that reminded me of another little incident that happened to me a few years ago.

I could not locate my phone.

No problem--after all, there's a built-in "find my iPhone function that comes with the phone. This was a phone we use for back ups. It used to be my main phone, but I when I got a new phone (and since we no longer have a landline...), the lost phone is for emergencies when we're gone and we need a phone at home.

My son used the phone and the next day, we couldn't find it. The first thing we did was call the phone number, of course--that should fix it. We hear the ring = we find the phone The problem was, I forwarded all the calls from the old phone to my new number. That way, anyone who had only the old number would reach me. 

Not so useful if you're trying to locate the old phone.

We tried the "Find My iPhone" function, but it wasn't registered so that didn't work.

We eventually found it, but the whole experience reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. I was assigned an e-mail address from a project I was working on. When I set it up, I mistakenly used the very e-mail address as one to use if/when I needed to change the password. The only problem with that is, if you forget your password (which I did...), they will send an e-mail with instructions to re-set the password to the e-mail address on record. And if that e-mail address is the one you cannot access because you forgot the password, then you're caught in an endless e-mail loop from which there is no escape.

I found the phone. I never figured out that e-mail thing.

Win some...lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment