Wednesday, November 24, 2021

So...Funny Story


 A few days ago I posted a picture of a simple can of Coke with the caption: "Perhaps the most delicious...and most expensive Coke...I've ever had." 

Confusing? A little. Cryptic? Definitely.

A few asked why this particular can of cola was both the most delicious and expensive.

Funny story...

...that will affect my Thanksgiving.

For as long as I can remember, I've had an issue with my throat. Simply put, I have a narrow esophagus, so much so, things will get caught in my throat when I try to swallow. This does not affect my breathing or anything else, just swallowing. I lived with this condition all my life and occasionally, something would get stuck, then it would pass (literally...) in a little while. I've had procedures done to improve the situation and it did, but the condition returned. We all have our own issues and this is one for me. No complaints...just the way thing are.

Last Monday, I'm having lunch and the mouthful of food doesn't go down. No problem...give it some time, things will work out. This usually takes maybe five, ten, or fifteen minutes for it to pass. When it was still stuck an hour later, I started to get annoyed. When one hour turned into four with no movement whatsoever, it looked like I was headed to the E.R.

That hasn't happened for decades, since I was maybe five-years old.

Thankfully, the local hospital is about a mile down the road. The on-call doctor said one thing that helps getting things unstuck is drinking a soda. I haven't had a coke or any soft drink for months. It was a habit I was glad to have "kicked" but heck...I'll try anything to dislodge whatever it was that was stuck. Now, I had not eaten anything most of the day. I only got through half my lunch before I had to stop. 

I've got to say, that Coke tasted great! I had hopes it would work, but unfortunately, it did not work and I was unable to finish the drink. But, boy--it was delicious.

It was expensive because I had to go to the E.R. to get it. I left the hospital a few hours later, after being put under and having a surgeon put a scope down my throat and push the object down. How narrow is my throat? The thing that was stuck was a black bean from my steak salad lunch from Costa Vida...not a big chunk of steak, but a bean, a small black bean.

Yesterday and today I've been on a liquid diet. I have to be careful of what I eat for a while. Today was better than yesterday and I'm hoping tomorrow will be better than today. The truth is, I will not be able to eat a traditional Thanksgiving day meal tomorrow or for a few days after that. I'm okay with that--I've had fifty-five Thanksgivings (at least one of those was a liquid meal...). It will make me appreciate the food--all food--even more. 

So, everyone out there, I wish you the safest and happiest of Thanksgivings! Eat a turkey leg and an extra helping of stuffing for me. I'll be fine with just a can of Coke...

At least, this year I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment